Monday, September 3, 2012

Why this Blog?

Hello! It is my hope that if your are here visiting my blog that your purpose is to find out more about YOUR Lumsden or Locke relative.
For over 25 years I have been researching my Lumsden and Locke. In an effort to collaborate with others who are searching these same family names I have created this blog. I'd like to say that in the last 25 years I've found a lot of information on these lines but the truth of the matter is that I haven't. Due to the circumstance (particularly on my Lumsden line) and dynamics that existed in Ireland at the time my Lumsden family lived there little is know about them. The records are scant and I have made little progress to expand my pedigree and find my of my ancestors. With the advances in digital records that are no being made I am hopeful that more records will be made available to me.
As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints I have been involved in helping to make those records more accessable to those who are searching for their ancestors. The church has the largest records holding in the world. Records stored include
genealogical and family history information contained in over 2.4 million rolls of microfilm and 1 million microfiche, housed at a facility call the Granite Mountian Records Vault or more simply known as "the vault". This equals about 3 billion pages of family history records. The vault's library of microfilm increases by up to 40,000 rolls per year. Since 1999, the church has been digitizing the genealogical records stored in the vault. The church makes the records publicly available through its Family History Centers, as well as online at its FamilySearch website and all of this information is made available free for those who wish to acquire it.
This blog will contain images of the records to the families I have spent countless hours to revealing. As others gain the desire to know about their kindred dead it is my hope that I may facilitate in their search and at the same time gain more knowledge as well.
So go ahead, have a look around. You may also visit my family tree at
www.familysearchtrees.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment